Greece is a unique destination, dotted with islands and with a great representative history for humanity, such as mythology, architecture, gastronomy, and natural beauties. It’s the favorite destination for many people, since it gives us visits to archaeological places, ruins, beaches in the Mediterranean Sea, steep and cliffs. Imagine reliving the travels of Odysseus as you cross the Aegean Sea on a ferry.
Well, we will suggest you the must-sees of Greece for you to enjoy in a week.
Although it is no longer the center of Western brooding, it is still very important to start your tour of Greece, so much so that you may need two days.
If you coordinate your trip well, you can start your adventure right away the day you arrive, by visiting the most important archaeological sites. There is a long list of things to see:
- Get to know the capital city
- Most important archaeological sites such as the Acropolis dating back to 500 B.C.
- Acropolis Museum of Athens
- Agora of Athens
- Syntagma Square
- Theater of Dionysus
- Hadrian’s Library
- Roman Agora
- Mark on your list a night tour of the most famous neighborhoods such as Plaka and Monastiraki.
On your third day we suggest you visit this archaeological site, many recommend visiting it on spring, because that is when there is more vegetation, and its greenery is a very good setting to admire on this stay. Here you can find:
- Temple of Hera
- Temple of Zeus
- Sculpture of Zeus, mythological God.
Day 4, take the ferry and transfer to this island that is also known as “party island”. Here you will find places that will take you to enjoy the atmosphere of music and gastronomy. Suggested places to visit on this island:
- Old port area. It is a very picturesque fishing port where you can spot the Mykonos pelican
- Bonis mills. Here you will find the Folklore Agricultural Museum and the windmills.
- Elia Beach. A beautiful and placid beach.
- Paradise Beach. With an open-air disco atmosphere, full of bars and beach clubs.
- Super Paradise. On it you can do a wide variety of water sports.
Delphi and Meteora
Already on our fifth day, we can indulge ourselves with the Greek culture and its history. This island we can admire the monasteries of Meteora; also, we can admire the Oracle of Delphi which is a mythological symbol. Without despising the natural landscapes and for this, you can rent a car and tour the island and enjoy more of what nature offers us.
The most famous island in the Aegean Sea and for this we will give you our sixth day. Santorini gives us the best view of the Aegean Sea and is made up of six small towns, do not miss the following spots to set up your tour for this day:
- Go to the sunset of the city of Oia, it is a spectacle like no other, considered a landmark by tourists. The spectacle consists of watching the sun fall on the white houses all over the cliff of this small town.
- Dive into the Abyss. It is the deepest place on the planet, and they call it the pool of the abyss.
- The Akrotiri enclosure. It is an archaeological site with the most important prehistoric remains in the Mediterranean. It is an ancient underground city that was buried after the eruption of the Santorini volcano, it has been called “The Minoan Pompeii”.
- Santorini wine tasting. You can visit the Wine Museum in a traditional Greek winery and taste their wines accompanied by a sommelier.
- Santorini Caldera. They are the remains of one of the worst cataclysms, the eruption of the Santorini volcano. Its center collapsed during the eruption and filled with water, giving shape to the Caldera. It is one of the largest and most beautiful in the world and you can explore it by boat or catamaran.
- Santorini beaches. Thanks to the volcanic rock, an extravagant diversity of colors and compositions are achieved, from red, white, and black coasts. Stony or sandy.
It is a good destination to end our trip, it is to end with an island full of culture, gastronomy, and natural spaces. What can we do and know in Crete?
- Balos Lagoon and Gramvousa Island. An authentic paradise with white sands that blend with the intense blue of the sea. You can get there by car or by boat, this last one leaves from the Kiosamos port, the advantage of taking the boat is that you can stop at the island of Gramvousa, it has a spectacular beach and a fortress on top.
- Chania. It is the most beautiful city in Crete, with a beautiful port with little restaurants that offer Greek food and colorful houses. This can be a very good place to stay.
- Heraklion and its Fortress. It is one of the places that you cannot miss, the city has its fortress that is worth visiting, built in the 12th century, this fortress surrounds the port.
- The Cathedral of Agios Minas. It is an orthodox cathedral with two large towers and its dome built in 1895. Its interior is decorated with brightly colored frescoes.
- The Minoan Palace of Knossos. It was built around 2000 B.C. being the political and cultural center of the Minoan civilization. This city is considered the oldest in Europe.
- The historical center of Rethymno. It is a historic center that you cannot miss. Its stone buildings with flowers hanging from the facades and Venetian courtyards are worth admiring.
- The Arkadi Monastery. Near Rethymnon there is one of the most historical places to see in Crete. The Arkadi Monastery has been a spiritual, religious and scientific center for almost eight centuries. The monastery was a key place during the revolution against the Ottoman occupation in the year 1866. Almost a thousand people took refuge in the monastery during a battle and after three days, when everything was against the Cretans, they decided to bomb the monastery. and sacrifice rather than surrender to the enemy. The Arkadi Monastery is a symbol of resistance against the Ottomans.
Now with all this information, you can build your week in Greece. What are you waiting for? Greece and we open our arms to you.