As a lover of travel experiences, you are already planning your new adventure; Regardless of whether it is inside or outside your country, we will talk about travel insurance that you can consider and take into account. These points can help you make an analysis of what you need according to your chosen trip or destination.
The question we always ask ourselves is when is it worth resorting to travel insurance? The answer would be… “It depends on what you are willing to lose”.
What is travel insurance and why do I need it?
It is a coverage designed to protect you from the risks that may arise, as well as financial losses. These, in the end, allow you to travel with peace of mind and without worries.
The risks that can arise range from missed airline connections or baggage delays, to injury or illness.
What travel insurance is most necessary?
- Injuries or illnesses. This is focused on protecting you from medical care expenses abroad, since in general the insurances that are commonly held do not provide full coverage in other countries. But this travel insurance can help you supplement medical costs if you get sick or injured while on vacation.
- Lost luggage. Aimed at covering expenses caused by theft or loss of your luggage. In some countries such as the United States, the DOT requires airlines to compensate the traveler with up to $3,300.00 USD for lost luggage and in other countries it could be an amount of up to $1,750.00 USD, but for the airline to make this compensation effective, the passenger must provide receipts proving the value of the baggage. And as an extra note, for some countries the airlines consider luggage loss after 21 days. In some cases, if there is a baggage delay, the airline will only compensate for the purchase of essential items, such as clothing, medications or personal hygiene items.
- Last minute cancellations. You may be very cautious and very orderly in everything that has to do with your trips, but unforeseen events could arise that force you to make cancellations. If you ever need to cancel your vacation, you’ll be faced with most resorts and cruise ships charging you a cancellation fee. And most companies won’t give you a refund. Due to these circumstances, we suggest that you take out this insurance so that you are covered in these cases.
What is the cost of travel insurance?
This will depend on the price of the trip to which a percentage is added that depends a lot on the age of the traveler; For example, if the traveler is around 35 years old, the percentage ranges between 3% and 5%. And if the person is around 60 years old, this percentage will rise to 10%.
- Comprehensive travel insurance.
It is the most used and typical, it usually covers delays, cancellations due to illness or death, lost luggage and some emergency medical expenses.
As a recommendation, we suggest that when you go to contract any travel insurance, read the fine print to avoid surprises.
What could not be covered by your travel insurance?
- If you have a pre-existing condition, and in this case seek an insurance extension for it.
- If you are going to visit some area where there is political unrest; however, you can find out if you can add a policy.
Now yes, with this information you will be able to plan and decide on your next vacation in a safer and more protected way so that you only worry about enjoying your trip without any surprises.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP!